Between seaweed soaks, uber-pricey age ‘reversing’ products and yes, even placenta facial creams, there’s no question the skincare industry has become overcrowded and nearly impossible to navigate, leaving us all to wonder what’s actually necessary and helpful for our skin.
What we all want is pretty simple, right? Clear, smooth, glowing skin. So let’s break it down to the basics… a simple three-step regimen.
1. Cleanse. This one is obvious. Use twice daily. Why, you ask? Your skin does most of its repair overnight, leaving dead skin cells at the surface. Similarly, after a long day of exposure to environmental pollutants, make-up and oil build up, pores can begin to clog and therein lies the issue. Wash once at the beginning of your day and once at the end.
2. Moisturize. We live in Wisconsin, so our skin is constantly in a period of adjustment to our varying weather. Without it, skin can appear dull and exacerbate fine lines/wrinkles. And, like any dry skin, it’s uncomfortable and itchy.
3. Exfoliate. Removing dead skin cells is also a no-brainer. Without even a gentle exfoliator, that dead skin just sits atop the surface. Exfoliation is also critical to healthy cell regeneration – the process of shedding dead skin and generating new cells.
Now for our list of favorites in each category!
· All Skin Types: Our first suggestion adds a (half) step into your regimen, but it’s so worth it. Dermalogica’s Pre-Cleanse will remove/dissolve make up. It’s a light oil and water soluable, so it’ll take just an extra minute or two to work into your skin, setting it up for a deep cleanse.
· All Skin Types: Special Cleansing Gel
· For Oily or Acne-Prone Skin: Glo Purifying Gel Cleanser
· For Dry & Mature Skin: Dermalogica Essential Cleansing Solution
You can do a lot with moisturizers. If you’re someone who doesn’t have a lot of time to spend on a skincare regimen, consider starting out with something simple. If you are experiencing a lot of dryness, consider incorporating a serum into the mix for a more targeted, deeper condition.
· For Oily Skin: Dermalogica Active Moist. Light moisturizer and oil free.
· All Skin Types: Dermalogica Skin Smoothing Cream. A medium-weight moisturizer designed to address light dehydration.
· For Dry & Aging Skin: Dermalogica Intensive Moisture Balance. A rich moisturizer designed to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles.
If you want to take moisturizing to the next level, add a serum.
· For Dry & Aging Skin: Glo Cyto-Luxe Serum. Smooths the appearance of wrinkles by promoting collagen and softening expression lines.
· For All Skin Types: Dermalogica Skin Hydrating Booster. Super concentrated hydrating serum.
· For All Skin Types: Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant. A rice-bran enzyme that lightly smooths and brightens
· For Dry & Aging Skin: Dermalogica Daily Superfoliant. This highly-active resurfacer fights environmental triggers and leaves you with uber soft skin.
· For Dry & Aging Skin: Dermalogica Multivitamin Thermafoliant. A heat-activated scrub mixes both physical and chemical exfoliants to refine skin texture and prevent skin aging.
Questions? Stop into Indulge Studios + Skin for a complimentary consultation with our Aesthetician for tips on an individualized regimen that will work to address your specific skin concerns.